Take the red warp pad to leave the Gym. The Lightning American. Other than the starting room and Sabrina's room, there are four warp tiles in each area, so it there's a lot of overlap. After this, board the ship. All of her Pokemon know Skill Swap to switch their abilities with your own, and they know secondary moves like Shadow Ball (Espeon), Energy Ball (Alakazam) and Mimic (Mr. In the middle of the street behind Mr. Psychic's house is Silph Co., which manufactures products for the Kanto and Johto Regions. For now, though, it's time to have the first battle against Sabrina. The Gym guide declares that this is the prerequisite for challenging the Gym. HeartGold/SoulSilver Gym leaders& Elite Four. Behind her is TM62 - Silver Wind, a Bug-type move that has a small chance to boost all of the user's stats. In the room across the hall is a Firebreather who uses two Koffing and a Flareon; the room next door is empty, and the cabin next to yours only has a resting Sailor who won't battle you, so continue left across the hall of the ship, which has four more cabins. While unlocking the gate, you'll probably have to fight the Gym's three subordinates: a Juggler with three Electrode (watch out for his Explosions); a Gentleman who uses Pikachu, Flaaffy and Electrike; and Guitarist who has Jolteon, Voltorb and Magnemite. Mime and two Exeggcute; then, use lower left tile to the upper-left room, home to a Medium who has Slowpoke and Slowbro; finally, the lower left tile goes to Sabrina. Vermilion CityPokémon GymLeader: Lt. Surge The Fighting Dojo's master is still training in Johto's Mt. But first, go to the room two doors to the right, just below a stationary sailor; this is your own cabin, and you can come in here to either switch your Pokemon using the PC or heal them by resting in the bed. In addition to that, it houses the Pokémon Fan Club. To find her, go down the stairs in the middle of this floor. It's now time to challenge your first Kanto Gym Leader at the Vermilion City Gym along the shore; use Cut or Surf to access the Gym. There are also metallic plates along the sides of the battlefield. Its Gym Leader, Lt. Surge, focuses on Electric-type Pokémon. American, Vermilion City Pokémon GymLeader: Lt. Surge In the right section is a Sailor who has a Raticate and the first Hoenn Pokemon you've encountered: a Makuhita. Assuming the 9th badge is the Vermilion City badge (the only gym with an electric fence), you have to randomly find the first trash can switch. Mime, Magmar and Machoke. If the first can was the one in the second column: There is a 50% chance that the west and north neighbors both contain the second switch, a 25% chance that only the south neighbor contains the second switch, and a 25% chance that only the east neighbor contains the second switch. . Lt. Surge: Voltorb (21), Pikachu (18), Raichu (24), Once you defeat Lt. Surge, you receive the Thunder Badge and TM 24 - Thunderbolt. Next to the Hiker is another empty room, and across the hall from it is the anxious man wondering where his granddaughter could be. Unlike in Generation II, Lt. Surge's lock puzzle is back in full glory for HeartGold … Ash was determined to prove Surge wrong, but his Pikachu was easily defeated by Surge's Raichu. Raichu made its appearance in Electric Shock Showdown, when Surge used it to battle Ash's Pikachu. After this, the guard downstairs will let you pass through. If you've never played the Generation I games or their remakes, you need to check the trash cans for two switches that will turn off the electric gate secluding Lt. Surge; they'll be in random bins each time, so just check every can until you find one. These locations will remain fixed even if the traps are reset. Mime) to provide additional coverage. Use the warp pad in the starting room to end up in the lower right section; there's a Medium nearby with a Bronzor and Hypno. The only way to get in the final room, where Lt. Surge is located, is to find two hidden switches inside the trash cans. It serves as the location for the third Gym, whose leader is Lt. Surge.It is situated next to a sea inlet to the south making it a popular sea port for ships. Across from them is a Hiker who uses a Golem and the first Sinnoh Pokemon you've seen so far: a Bronzor. If the first switch was in one of the middle column cans, the second will be in the can to the left, right, or middle, or in the top-left can. In its first appearance, the Gym resembled a warehouse with lightning bolts painted on it. Route 6 is a linear vertical path that brings you Saffron City, which is accessible without needing to give drinks to the outposts' guards. If the first can was the top can of the middle column: Due to yet another glitch, the game attempts to randomly pick from 256 possible pairs of cans for the second switch, most of which correspond to blank neighbor data or partially-invalid data about the neighbors of other cans. Surge's main strategy is to annoy you, as few of his attacks are powerful but all but one of his Pokemon, Electabuzz, knows Double Team. Now pick the Pokémon you taught Cut from the list and select Cut. Raichu was used in Red and Surge's Gym battle, but was defeated off-screen. As soon as you get aboard, an old man will run into you, announce that he's looking for his missing granddaughter, and hurry off. Trainers who defeat him receive the Thunder Badge. As with Lt. Surge, Sabrina's roster received a boost in levels in HeartGold and SoulSilver to put her ahead of the Elite Four and Lance. 51), Electabuzz (Lv. A field based on the Gym also appears in Pokémon Stadium's Gym Leader Castle and Stadium 2's Kanto Gym Leader Castle. Therefore, never-miss moves like Swift or Faint Attack are very useful in this battle, as are Full Restores or Paralyz Heals because Raichu and an Electrode know Thunder Wave while Magneton knows Supersonic. If you mess up, you need to start over. The switch locations are random, so all you can do is search all the buckets until you find the first switch, then look for the second one right next to it. As in previous games, Saffron City's Gym has nine different rooms connected with warp pads. If the first can was the bottom can of the middle column: The above glitch applies but with slightly different data, resulting in a 225/256 (~88%) chance that only the top-left can has the second switch, a 1/256 (~0.4%) chance that no can has the second switch at all, and a 30/256 (~12%) chance that either one or two cans among the four rightmost columns have the second switch.